Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 2 Reading - Constructivism

A constructivism approach focuses on learning how to think and understand. Using a constructivist approach through the use of integrating technology makes learning meaningful and engaging. It provides teachers with the opportunity to use interactive, and/or tangible materials, as well as their own creativity. There is a massive paradigm shift from the teacher being the expert and providing the lecture/content, to being that of a facilitator. Students also experience a paradigm shift in their roles as learners. They feel a sense of ownership in their learning, as they are provided with the opportunity to have a voice in what they are learning. They are also held more accountable for their assessment and progress. In addition, using a constructivist approach promotes opportunities for students to have authentic discussions and collaboration with each other.
After reading about constructivism classrooms, I have been inspired to share and model this approach with my teachers, as it offers so much more for both the student and the teacher.

Although our school is equipped with what I consider to be the ‘bells and whistles’ of technology, (document cameras, Smartboard, projectors, internet, etc.), I have not observed my teachers using a constructivist approach. Instead, I have seen them using technology in isolation to support instruction. I believe my teachers have not attempted to use this instructional approach for three reasons: 1) the underperforming label that we possess (they feel like that have to provide basic, systematic instruction), 2) the lack of knowledge, experience and training they possess and 3) the lack of administrative push/encouragement. I realize that using this approach is not something that can be achieved overnight; however, with the right training and on-going support, I believe we can effectively and successfully implement this instructional approach at our school.

1 comment:

gmrodriguez said...

You gave a great explanation of constructivism. I too was inspired to use more constructivist techniques in my classroom. I also think that we work at similar schools. My school also has state of the art technology equipment but because of various reasons
(some being the ones you mentioned) they are just not used as effectively as they could be. I agree that it does take adequate training for staff to be able to teach in a new approach and sometimes districts are just not willing to make that investment.