Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 9 - Electronic Portfolios

Okay, I must admit that I'm having difficulty keeping all of this electronic portfolio information straight. :-( However, I think they are very powerful. They allow both students and teachers to share/ highlight goals, accomplishments, as well as reflect on their progress via the use of technology resources. With regard to electronic portfolios for teachers, they can serve as a useful way for sharing successful practices with others.

I think some people may feel overwhelmed using electronic portfolios at first, but with a little time, technological competency, and commitment, they can effectively be designed by students and teachers.

I'd love to see more of my teachers using these with their students...I hope to share what I've learned with them....hopefully I can inspire them!

3 comments:

Amanda Dahl said...

Do you think educators feel overwhelmed because proper modeling and guidance were never offerred? I seem to sense this feeling at my campus whenever something new is "suggested", but rarely any professional development is implemented so that this new strategy or curriculum is used effectively. The more I learn in this class, the more excited I get for the upcoming year! Hopefully I get a class eager to learn using many different tools. :)

Kathleen said...

Please don't take offense to this post. As a classroom teacher i feel frustration with lesson plans, committees, and classwork I have to do every day, yet we still do the unrequested work of a portfolio to show our students and parents the growth of their children. It was mice to see a administrator that gets it! maybe a pat on the pat on the back or covering a teachers duty and recognizing those teachers do rise to the challenge and time of portfolios.

Mr. Colcord's Blog said...

I really like the idea of creating and maintaining ePortfolios for both students and teachers, but I also was a bit overwhelmed with the flood of information that came from the readings. I wish that we would have had an opportunity to create an ePortfolio or at least had a bit more experience with some of the portfolio software available, but we have been a bit busy. ☺