Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 7 Readings - Tips for Different Types of Presentations

Day seven readings Tips for Different Types of Presentations was right on time for me, as I’m preparing for a presentation this week. Although I have delivered many presentations, I must admit that I was feeling a bit nervous about this one. Why? The content is not my area of forte. However, after reading the articles, I feel energized and confident to tackle the design and delivery of my presentation!

What I learned:
I must be prepared and know what I’m going to say. If I don’t, the audience is sure to catch on to my feeling of uncertainty. Also, the two main objectives is to present the new information in an enthusiastic manner that will inspire. (These two go hand in hand, and do not work in isolation). Additionally, I must ensure that I include the following three components: facts and supportive data; examples or analogies that add meaning and context to the data and reasons this is important to your listeners.

Interestingly, using a storyboard is very helpful for designing any type of presentation. Personally, I tend to want to dive right into the presentation without mapping it out. The outline/storyboard will not only help with the overall organization of the presentation, but addressing difficult questions as well. (In my opinion, anticipating what a member of the audience might ask is the most difficult piece to presenting, as I must be well versed in my topic and respond as accurate as possible).

Finally, I must be prepared for the presentation. It’s true about the cliché “practice makes perfect”! A technique that I learned was to sing the information…this will help me memorize the content. Another technique I learned was to remember to speak with them, not at them. My job is to inform my audience in a way that is easy for all to understand.

No comments: