Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 8 - Electronic Teaching Portfolios

The creation of a comprehensive electronic teaching portfolio is an effective way to highlight a teacher's goals, skills, accomplishments, as well as self-reflections.

Although professional electronic portfolio can be designed and presented in many ways, some key components to include are: personal background information, teaching artifacts, and professional information, such as providing a vita, examples of lesson plans and/or meaningful projects.

From an administrative stand point, I believe professional electronic portfolios to be a more effective way of showcasing one's skills and talents during an interview, in comparison to sharing a thick binder loaded with paper artifacts.

2 comments:

Amanda Dahl said...

I agree that portfolios are a great way to showcase your accomplishments in the area of education. I spent so much time during college, choosing appropriate articles, lesson plans, student work, etc...and each interview I had, barely took the time to look over what I had made. I hope that you are right with the electronic portfolios. When I sit in on interviews today, I always make sure to take the time to look over their portfolio, because maybe you will find information in the documents that were not discovered during the formal interview.

gmrodriguez said...

Hi Juliet,
I agree that a professional electronic portfolio would be a great tool to showcase your skills and talents for an interview. Normally when you interview for a job you are nervous and might forgot some of the things that you want your future employer to know about you. With an electronic portfolio you have the opportunity to take the time to reflect and be selective on what you want to share in your interview.